BUICK LESABRE THERMOSTAT PROBLEM

2004 Buick Lesabre • 130,000 miles

Hi. I have a 2004 Buick Lesabre. The car started overheating recently. When the car was cold, I checked the coolant levels in the radiator and reservoir and they were both full. I replaced the thermostat and the car still overheats. I took out the thermostat and I am driving the car without one now. Without it the car does not overheat anymore but obviously I don't have heat. I inspected the radiator and while it could possible have internal damage or rusting it does not have any visible signs of damage or rust from the outside. I'm at a loss as to why the car overheats with the thermostat, and before I go buy a new radiator or go through the trouble of replacing the heater core in an attempt to fix it, I would appreciate it if I could get any thoughts or suggestions on what could be causing this problem.
Mardini1

The thermostat restricts flow of the coolant, so that is why it works without. However, you have no heat, so you need the thermostat. Can you tell me if the car overheats all the time, only at highway speeds, or only when sitting? As far as the radiator, you may want to flush it out. And the heater core will not help with an overheating problem.