CLUTCH DOES NOT ENGAGE

2004 BMW 318i • 175,000 miles

BMW318i, manufactured in 2004, engine no.4598m330, clutch does not immediately engaged when in Drive position. It took more than 20 seconds to respond.

This happen after changing the gear box oil (Ravenol Dexron 111H auto gear oil, output oil seal, auto filter, auto gasket, oil sump gasket and Johnson power steering fluid.
Yap

And what did you put the power steering fluid into, the transmission?

Rivermikerat
This happen when the engine is completely cool down. However once the clutch has engaged and the car can moves on smoothly. However, I notice that the petrol consumption has became on the high side for my normal driving.

Yap
When was the last time the clutch was changed? It could be worn, or it could need adjustment. What happens if you get going in first and shift into third and try to go?

Rivermikerat
I tried to start the car from cold this morning. I engaged D gear without pressing accelerator, the car just jerking and not moving forward for ten minutes. After that I press on the accelerator, it start to move slowly with slight jerking feel. Then move it for 30 seconds and shift to parking gear. After few seconds, I shift back to D gear, only then it moves by itself slowly as usual. I have not changed the clutch. Due to gear oil leakage, I replace the oil seal and auto gear oil.

Yap
Is it an automatic or manual transmission?

Rivermikerat
It is an automatic transmission. Due to transmission oil leakage too, I changed auto filter, auto gasket, oil sump gasket and fill in johnsen power steering fluid.

Yap
Check the transmission fluid pressure. Make sure the level is correct. Running it low may have damaged it. Have it scanned for both soft and hard codes.

Rivermikerat