VOLVO V40 NOISE PROBLEM

2003 Volvo V40 • 62,000 miles

Hi, I recently bought a volvo v40 1.6 petrol 2003, with 62000 miles on it.I noticed a noise coming from the cam direction like a diesil ticking over untill it was over 2 thousand reves then the noise dissapeared, it was also down on power, and it was reving up here and their on its own, Ipluged it in to a small obd11 scanner and it was showing fault code p0010 cam shaft position sensor malfuntion, Iwas just looking to know if this fault code would show up if it was the cam pullys needing replaced, Ihave ordered a cam position sensor it hasnt arrived yet, I was hopeing it wasnt the pullys as it will be exspensive to get the work done and the car isnt really worth more than £1000. Di would be greatfull if you could advise. Many thanks. Stephen mcneill

How is your oil level? If you are low on oil it will cause the camshaft reset valve to make noise. If oil level is good then when it starts to tick pull the oil dipstick out while the car is running and check for air bubbles in the oil. If you have bubbles then the oil pick up tube seals are faulty. That can also set camshaft fault codes since the reset valve uses oil pressure to adjust the the timing. Hope these helps you out.

JIS001