VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE FRAME PROBLEM

2003 Volkswagen Beetle • 40,000 miles

Trying to remove sump guard as a precursor to removing damaged sump. Two 17mm retaining studs to rear of guard, although tight to begin with, are now spinning both clockwise and anti-clockwise, but do not extract and the sump guard remains securely held in place. Can you help please?
Palevins

Is this the plastic guard or are you talking about a large aftermarket skid plate that is secured to the subframe?

Can you post a picture?

Thomas

Exovcds
Hi Thomas

Sump guard is metal and doesn't look like an aftermarket item. However, I bought the car used 2 years ago in the UK and imported it to Ireland where I am based. Si it's possible the previous owner had it installed.
The 17mm studs holding the rear of the plate in place can be seen in the Photo 3.

Rgds

Patrick

Palevins
That is a stock item. I was thinking earlier model beetle that do not have that plate.

If the bolt is stripped or the part that the bolt screws into is spinning, there's not much that can be done, aside from forcing
the pieces apart.

Try to apply downward pressure on the plate while turning the bolt. Wedge a pry bar between the plate and the subframe.

Thomas

Exovcds
Already tried downward pressure on the plate using a pinch bar while turning the stud. Didn't achieve any downward movement in the plate.
Looks like the threads have been rung out. Really surprising that I could achieve this with standard ratchet and socket set. Is the receiver end of the thread made of steel or alloy?

If the threads have been rung out I guess I'll have to cut off the studs and re-thread the receiver. Is that correct?
Rgds
Patrick

Palevins
I believe it (receiver) is steel if it is part of the subframe.

Yes, cut off the head, remove the skid plate and then see what needs to be done to solve.

Thomas

Exovcds
Thanks. Not the answer I was hoping for!
Best
Patrick

Palevins
I have not had to fortune to run into a similar situation. Wish I could have suggested more.

Maybe a 2carpros expert will chime-in.

Best of luck.

Thomas

Exovcds