TOYOTA CAMRY BALANCE SHAFT PROBLEM

2003 Toyota Camry • 135,000 miles

Just rebuilt engine cannot find timming details for installing the contra rotating balance shafts. Is a 2.4l, balance shaft assembly bolts up under crank shaft and is driven by a gear attached to the crank.
Sixty9tang

I think what i'e sent is what you need it's all we have. We do have another with a paint mark but not sure that is it.

The picture on the left is of the timing chain and cam gears; I have info. On them. The picture in the middle appears to be a similar set up to the one on my car. The picture on the right is not the same set up, maybe from an earlier year. Still no help though.I need detailed info. [ Is the crank set at TDC for instance]. The balance shaft gears have 2 marks on each gear and they are not identical and I need to know were they need to be positioned in relation to each gear and the crank shaft position.I have a HAYNES repair manual 2002-2006. It doesn't even mention a balance shaft. The 2007-2011 shows detail of a balance shaft, but it is different. The manual for the years before 2002 also mention a balance shaft but it is chain driven.I have checked a chilton's manual with similar results.I have searched the web to no avail so far. Any help I appreciate.

Sixty9tang
The last pic is a balance shaft and the dots need to line up the center pic is the balance shaft gears installed if you look closely there are a cople more dots that look like they line up with something on the drawing. Unfortunately this is all we have oin our manuals so i'm sending what we had.
Hereare instructions maybe this will help.
Installation

1. Rotate the driven gear No. 1 of balanceshaft No. 1 for the rotating direction until it hits the stopper.
2. Confirm that the matchmarks on driven gear No. 1 and No. 2 are matched.

Fig. 32: Matching Matchmarks
Courtesy of TOYOTA MOTOR SALES, U.S.A, INC.

3. Align the timing marks of the No. 1 and No. 2 balanceshafts as shown.
4. Place the No. 1 and No. 2 balanceshafts on the crank case.
5. Apply a light coat of engine oil under the heads of the balanceshaft housing bolts.

Fig. 33: Aligning Timing Marks

6. Uniformly tighten the 8 bolts in the sequence shown.

Torque: 22 N.M (220 kgf. Cm, 16 ft. Lbf)

HINT: The balanceshaft housing bolts are tightened in 2 progressive steps.

Fig. 34: Tightening Balanceshaft Housing Bolts In Sequence

7. Mark the front side of each balanceshaft housing bolt head with paint.
8. Retighten the bolts by 90 as shown.
9. Check that the painted marks are now at a 90 angle to the front.

Fig. 35: From Front Position Turn Paint Marked Bolt 90