TOYOTA CAMRY HEATER PROBLEM

2003 Toyota Camry • 165,000 miles

My car began to leak water and overheat a few days ago. The leak is not near the raditor but instead its coming from somewhere in the back of the engine by the dashbord area. I thought it was the thermostat, which I had replaced, but still contiinued to do the same thing afterwards. I had two friends (mechanics) look at it and one said it was a heater hose and the other said it was the freeze plug. These guys are only making these conclusions based on visual inspection. I domt have enough money to take it to the Toyota place to get checked out there. Can you please help out. The heater only works when it feels like it too.

You don't have to take it to the dealer. There's all kinds of independent shops. If you don't have the money to spend at the dealer, you sure don't have the money to guess and replace the wrong parts. It might be necessary to raise the car on a hoist so someone can actually see the source of the leak. A pressure test will likely help.

What is it about the heater that is intermittent? Does it blow cold air or does the fan not even turn on? If the air is cold, the coolant is not circulating. That is due to low coolant level and that can lead to overheating the engine.