SUBARU FORESTER DIFFERENTIAL PROBLEM

2003 Subaru Forester • 130,000 miles

I have a 2003 Subaru Forester, I just took it to the shop because after extended periods of traveling it would almost seem as if my engine was over heating, but they seem to think that my front differential has a leak somewhere and in order to check it out they have to take out the transmission. This does seem like a fairly complicated process, so I was wondering if there is an easier way to fix the problem or if this certain autoshop missed diagnosed my Subaru? Oh also the shop said the total cost to fix it would be around 2400 dollars.
Thanks,
Lewis
Lewiskoplin

AN engine overheating and an axle problem seem very different and not related. Why are they saying that is the problem?

Well I guess the engine wasn't overheating, but I mentioned nothing about an axel. Im not an expert on how a differential works is it connected to the axel? Anyways im pretty sure the differentials just leaking fluid somewhere.

Lewiskoplin
Also the cost seems a bit outrageous

Lewiskoplin
IT does sound like a lot of money. As far as the axle, yes it is attached to the differential. At this point, I think a second opinion may be a good idea.