SUBARU FORESTER TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

2003 Subaru Forester • 120,000 miles

Dear Authorized,
I live in Turkey and my car is subaru forester 2.0 xt at. I have a problem. When I drive 40-70 miles per hour and 4 th gear, and I push the accelarter, I sense big shock, after little delay my car is going normal. I tried to 3 th gear in same speed range, but I didn't sense any shock hesitage or like that. So everything is ok. But only in 4 th gear, I have a shock or hesitage problems. I changed AT oil and checked all valves about automatic transmissions. What is your suggestion to me?
Best Regards.
Serkanwaller

Did you check for trouble codes?

Yes I checked all trouble codes but there wasn't any codes. As I know, some of 2003-2004 forester and baja transmission control modules had a mistake, so that automatic transmission can do hesitation or like that. Am I right? I looked Forester service manuals and I checked all of possible reasons. Only I haven't checked TCM.

Serkanwaller
I could not find any TSB on this problem in our database so I don't know if there are other reported cases that are similar.

If trouble codes are not found and problem is intermittent, I would not discount the possibility of a bad PCM.

Did you check with your local Subaru dealer?

Yes I talked local 2 authorized Subaru dealers. But They answer wasn't satisfactory to me. They said that, We should change 4th gear parts, its price 3.000-4.000 $. This price is so much and I can buy new transmission or may be new car instead of fixing. In Turkey, most of dealers are so uninformed.
I can't understand that what are TSB and PCM in your answer?
And recently another problem started as a additional. When from 3th to 4th gear, little shock occure.
I checked subaru service manual about both of these problems, it say you should check, TCM, TPS, solenoids and sensors inside of control module. I checked and cleaned all of solenoid and sensors and changed ATF. But problem is going on. I haven't checked TCM and TPS yet.
Is my problem related with turque converter turbine speed sensor? Or What is your suggestion to me?
Regards.

Serkanwaller
PCM - Power Control Module, meaning the engine computer.
TSB is technical Service Bulletin.

The chart shows possible causes for the symptoms described and it is related to the excessive shocks you felt at sudden hard acceleration.

Such problems are best checked with a line pressure test. If a fault with the transmission internals such as pressure leaks is detected, it would be easier to proceed from there.

The TPS is not likely to be the cause as more than one gear harsh upshift would be noticed.

In fact I forgot to say about my car. I have been driving my car with LPG. When I drive with LPG, I feel these hesitation and shock much more than the gasoline. But I feel them when I drive with gasoline. All of my cars sensor was controlled, and some them was tried.

Serkanwaller
LPG would have a slight decrease in engine performance and that can result in different characteristics of shifting but the problem is not caused by engine performance therefore you would feel the hesitation etc in either mode of driving.

Such problems are never easy to diagnose and resolve and could be the transmission itself that is at fault.