WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY COOLING SYSTEM?

2003 Pontiac Grand Am • 297,000 miles

Ok, the car started pushing coolant out of the overflow. Also boiling in the rad. Coolant seemed to be circulating so not the water pump. No coolant in the oil and no oil in the coolant and no white smoke. Not the head gasket. So, Had a mechanic replace the thermostat. He has 30 yrs experience so not backwards. Car is still overheating but not pushing out coolant. What's the problem? Car is an 03 grand am gt.
Fathom

Cooling fans operating?

Docfixit
Yes, fans are working. It's got the 3.4 as well. This really has me confused. I'm thinking maybe blockage but I'm not sure. Everything seems to be doing what its supposed to but it just overheats. Oh. And from cold, it heats up quickly.

Fathom
Suspect radiator blockage when hot feel radiator any cool spots?

Docfixit
Yes. Blowing cold air.

Fathom
Oops misread the reply. Haven't really felt the rad but last night when it overheated all the supports on top seemed cold.

Fathom
Does top hose get hard and feel hot? Hjas radiator cap been tested to hold pressure? Bottom hosewarm and not collapsed?

Docfixit
No, top hose is not really hot or hard. Rad cap seems ok. May try a new one. Not sure about bottom hose.

Fathom
Was Air bleed valve opened when filling?

Docfixit
No. Could it be so simple as air lock?

Fathom
Yes if air bleed valve was not opened

Docfixit