STEERING GEAR BOX

2003 Nissan Xterra • 90,000 miles

I have a 2003 Nissan Xterra, recently I had a recall repaired and they replaced the lower steering column joint & shaft. About 6 wks later now, I have a leak of power steering fluid coming from the steering gear box. Nissan quoted me $1800 to fix this but I think it is a problem from the recall repair, I never had a problem or leak before this. What I want to know is when you replace the lower steering column joint & shaft, do you have to do any work or take off the steering gear box?
Bix22

Replacing the column shaft joint does not require the steering gear box to be removed but the work requires the joint to be disconnected from the steering box pinion shaft.

I just had the same shaft replaced on my 04 and now I have a power steering leak to

Mikeireland
Steering pinion shaft oil seals hardens over time and any work near it can judder it to result in oil leaks. It is difficult to point the finger at anybody as it can also be coincidence that it fails.

One thing you can try is loosen the couplings and then retighten again. This would release any unintended tension on the pinion and might stop the leak if the shaft is being subjected to unnecessary load due to improper installation.