NISSAN ALTIMA SENSOR PROBLEM

2003 Nissan Altima • 160,577 miles

I have an issue with my 2003 Nissan Altima. I have taken it to several mechanics with no luck and don't know where to turn. A few years ago I had a neighbor mechanic check out my car. He told me my air filter needed to be cleaned. After the cleaning my car acted crazy and would sound like someone was repeatedly stepping on my gas pedal. Everytime I would put my car in park my car would act like I was stepping on the gas pedal every 2 or 3 seconds. As time went by this issue went away. Every 4 or 5 months after than my car would turn off on its own. And A few months ago my car would shut itself off. At First I was told it was an issue with my battery again. I had purchased a new one. I ended up having the same issue. Sometimes, after putting gas my car would not start. I took it to different mechanics to get different opinions. They told me that it was my catalytic converter. After that was replaced I still had issues. Also replaced were the V-tech, Cam sensor. The computer system was reprogrammed then replaced when issues still occurred. The strange thing is when the cam sensor is taken out the car starts just fine. The mechanic said this was a sign of a short but he did not find it. The Nissan dealer wants to charge $150 an hour just to take a look. What do you recommend I do? Thank you for any help or suggestions that you have.
Magarza

Is. It. Setting any codes?

That is a tough one. When does the vehicle stall, at idle or while driving? Also, was the air cleaner cleaned out or replaced? Were any sensors on the air intake tube disconnected? The loping you described (at an idle the engine revs up and down) is usually caused either by a vacuum leak or a bad idle air control valve (IAC). The IAC is responsible for maintaining the engine's idle. Has that been checked? Have any trouble codes been retrieved?

Thank you guys for your quick response! I will get the codes and post them Saturday!

Magarza
Alright keep us posted on the codes.

As of right now, there are no problem codes being given but the car does not start.

This is a list of all the parts that have been replaced: Airfilter, Spark plugs, Crank sensor, Cam Sensor, Motor Mounts.
The ECM has been reprogrammed and Coil cleaned.

The strange thing is when the crank position sensor is removed the car will start and the timing of the car goes to 0. When the crank sensor is connected, the car will not start and the timing goes to 53. No codes being read after reprogramming of ECM. Thanks again for any suggestions. I appreciate all the help I can get.

Magarza
Are you talking about the cam sensor or crank sensor unhooking and it starting?

I'm sorry for the confusion. I noticed I incorrectly said cam sensor in my first post.

Yes, when the crank sensor is disconnected then the car will start.

Magarza
Which engine do you have?

The engine is 2.5L I4 EFI

Magarza
The black wire to the crankshaft position sensor see if you have a less then two ohms to ground?Also see if any of the other wires to it are grounded?

Page 1 of 2