WEIRD NOISES...PLEASE HELP..

2003 Mercury Mountaineer • V8 AWD Automatic • 107,000 miles

I just bought a 2003 Mountain with 107K miles on it (4.6L V8, AWD) last weekend. 1/2 way home (about a 3 hour drive) I backed out of a parking spot and it felt like my E-brake was stuck on. Shook and Grinded while backing up. Does this at very low speed turns as well.I have been running around to shops all week and keep hearing different answers. Have heard the E brake pads are sticking and have also heard possible rear or transfer case. Next, the tingy rattly noise. Sounds to me like a heat shield rattling. On a test drive, one specialist said sounds like the Torque Converter. Someone else said it sounds like its coming from the front pump/converter area of the trans. And last. The Roaring whooshy noise (pardon my impersonations). I only hear this when idling. Vacuum hose maybe?

My husband drove it today and he said when he got on it the RPMs dropped way low very fast which did not seem normal. Driving is smooth. No probs shifting.

Anyone have any advise? I do not know whether to bring it back for a refund or keep it if repairs are minor. I realize that certain things need replacing, but I'm not spending thousands within a week or so of owning it. Thanks to anyone that can help.
Neecy