LOCKED CAR

2003 Lexus GX 470 • V8 4WD Automatic • 160,000 miles

I have a Lexus 2003 GX470 and all of a sudden I went to open the door with my key and it will not go in. It acts like there is part of it in the lock but my key is not broke. I dont have a remote to open the door but I have not had any problems before. Please Help.
Eshuby

It sounds like the tumbler has gone bad or may have frozen. Do you live in a cold climate?

Yes it is 27 degrees right now what is a tumbler?

Eshuby
The tumbler is the part that the key goes into. It is made to turn only when the correct key is used.

Just for the heck of it, try running a hair dryer on it to see if something has frozen. They even make a product just for frozen tumblers.

Try that and let me know if it helps. If not, then we need to think about replacing the tumbler.

Thanks I will try and let you know I had to leave it somewhere and get a ride so I will let you know.
Thanks so much,
Elaine

Eshuby
Thanks so much Joe you were right it was frozen.
Blessings,
Elaine

Eshuby
Elaine,
Great! That was an easy fix. If you go to the parts store, they make a product that you can spray into frozen door tumblers. I would say keep it in the car, but if you have luck like me, it will be in the car when the locks freeze in the lock position. (Lol) Maybe put it in your coat pocket.

Take care and let us know if you have questions in the future.

Keep Warm!