RUBBING NOISE WHILE COASTING

2003 Land Rover Discovery 2 • V8 4WD Automatic • 54,000 miles

I have a 2003 Land Rover Discovery 2 with 54k miles. I just recently noticed that when I don't have my foot on the gas or brake and the car is just coasting, that it is making a rubbing noise. I checked the wheel well arches and there is nothing loose that is rubbing up against the tires, not sure what else it could be.

Does anyone have any idea?
Stef7321

If you put the transmission in neutral while coasting does the noise go away?

No, it makes the same rubbing/grinding noise even in neutral. And I feel like I might feel a bit of vibration on the shifter when I do.

Stef7321
SO you feel the noise in or vibration in the shifter only in neutral?But hear just the noise while coasting in gear?

I feel a slight vibration in the shifter when the car the car is coasting either in gear or neutral. It is fairly faint in either. However, I hear the noise in both Drive and Neutral while coasting. It happens at fast and slow speeds.

Stef7321
The best way to diagnose that problem is to use a chassis ear that has multiple clip on mics to narrow down where the noise is coming from.I think in this case the best thing to do is take somewhere to get it diagnosed. Unless you want to buy a chassis ear tool and start clamping mics in different places and find the noise?If you do let me know other wise let me know what you find from bringing it somewhere.

I am a proud owner of a 04 DiscoII with 167K I had that same rubbing noise since 70k never got louder, took it to the shop they found nothing wrong, they just told me to grease the joints every other oil change. I also drove my friends Disco and it had the same noise but he never noticed. These rovers run on all 4 wheels all the time, there will always be more noise then 2WD. Just change your Diff fluid and transfer case fluid and you good to go.

Therovertech2
Thank you very much for your ideas and input on these land rovers it is greatly appreachiated.