CRANK ANGLE SENSOR?

2003 Kia Sorento • 6 cylinder 4WD Automatic • 80,000 miles

Hey guys it's been a while. I have a 2003 sorento that is on the fritz. It started a while back when my wife had the plastic t-pipe back by the coolant reservoir broke and she overheated it to shutdown twice before she called me. I fixed that with a few scraped knuckles no problems. However, about a week later the check engine light came on and it started to idle quite rough. Eventually it would not start; it would crank with out starting. I will try to describe what was happening, two or three cranks then sputter; I could smell fuel while this was happening as well.

I had been planning to do the plugs and wires in addition to the timing belt for a few weeks so I went ahead and did so. Due to time constraints I did not do the wires with the plan to do them within the following week. After doing the other stuff, it ran fine for a few weeks. Eventually it started running rough again and finally the same start issue. This second time after setting for a day, it started up no problems again. However, it has done a third time.

I pulled several different codes throughout this mess. I had codes for multiple misfires; I'll have to get them in the morning to reveal which cylinders it occured in.

During the last time it was running I noticed a vacuum hose that was leaking on the left or drivers side of the engine; I will take a picture of that and send it as well as the codes I pulled.

Is it possible it has slipped time? Can the crank sensor be faulty and not show any related codes? If the crank sensor was the problem would the car run off and on as it has, and finally could it be an ignition coil or the wires I need to replace?

I suspect the crank sensor but I will listen to you who are better qualified.
Benniekong

Since you are able to smell fuel, it most probably would be missing ignition sparks and this would most likely be a fault with eht crank sensor.

Sometimes intermittent problems do not throw a code.

What were the codes retrieved and after erasing them, how often do they come back?