CIGARETTE LIGHTER PROBLEM

2003 Jaguar Vanden Plas • V8 2WD Automatic • 80,500 miles

2003 Jaguar Vanden Plas has both cigarette lighters that don't work. Checked the fuse and it was burned out. Replaced it and tested the lighter and that new one also burned out immediately. Did one more for good luck and same thing. What is wrong and would just replacing the lighter assembly work or is it likely much more involved electrical issue.
Msparagna

If your lighter is in the vertical position, check for a coin that may have fallen inside it. That usually is the cause. If it does it when you apply the lighter then the lighter element is bad. They can be purchased at most auto parts stores.

No coin present. The problem presented itself when I tried to recharge my phone using the lighter not when I used the lighter. I only used the lighter after I inserted the 2nd and 3rd fuse as a proxy for the recharger to see if the lighter unit was working properly. Does that change your prognosis for what the problem is?

Msparagna
Not being able to see it makes it kind of hard to diagnose lol. Alot of cell phones will not work in lighter plugins for some reason. If you removed the charger and still blew fuses then i'd look for a burnt up wire and touching the body someplace then. This would definetly have to be looked at by a pro to give you aproper diagnosis.