CAN I FIX A LEAK IN A POWER STEERING FLUID LINE WITH JB-WELD?

2003 Hyundai Sonata • 90,000 miles

A short piece of rubber hose, and hose clamps? I awoke one morning to find my steering wheel was very difficult to turn. I checked the power steering reservoir and, sure enough, it was empty. I refilled it and my steering problems went away. Within an hour, they had returned again. I looked underneath the car and saw a steady drip of fluid. I got underneath the car and found a single metal tube with a rubber covering, all covered with liquid. Nothing else around it was really wet, so I assume I had found the leak. The tube looks like it's in relatively good condition, except for a one-inch section which is slightly corroded. Wiping it clean, I notice there is a single spot where liquid wells up - just like a small cut.

I plan on fixing this myself with some thin aluminum sheeting, JB-Weld, a section of rubber hose, and couple of hose clamps. I want to fix a small strip of aluminum over the leak with JB-weld and then clamp over that with a short section of rubber hose and a crap-load of hose clamps.

My question is this: Have I missed something? I often try repairs like this myself and overlook some important detail, leaving me up a creek without a paddle. Also, is there anything I can do to prevent this kind of line corrosion in the future?

Thanks much! You have no idea how much your advice means to an amateur mechanic like me!
Jpmadigan1

If the line is the pressurised line, this is not going to work. Tampering with this line can and would result in vibrating/groaning noises when steering is being turned as the hose is calibrated for a specific volume flow.

If it is the return hose, patching up is no going to last as the complete pipe should already be in bad condition. There are copper pipes available and you can try this alternative.

However from your decription, I believe that is the pressurised hose so quite likely you need a new hose. This hose tends to give way after a certain period, if the pipe do not rust, the rubberised section would often fail due to fatigue.