HEAT SHIELD AND ACCELERATING PROBLEM

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe • 6 cylinder 4WD Automatic • 80,000 miles

Two unrelated questions:

1) I was told the heat shield covering my drive shaft was completely rusted out and was removed (yes, I was having noise issues). I was told it is not really necessary to replace and would cost in excess of $900.00. Is it true it is not necessary?

2) Only two times in the last two weeks, I have had issues with accelerating. The problem can best be described as when a clutch is going out on a manual stick shift car. It is revving and making a higher pitched sound but the RPMs are not rising. It feels like the car is going to stall out, but once I get it going to a speed of about 35 mph, it no longer is an issue. Today after it happened, the car was making a noise like a crackling sound and smelled like something was burning. I had the car in the shop on Tuesday and they could not find anything wrong with it. I happened again today and they have had the car all day and cannot get it to act up. Any suggestions as to what it might be?

Car: 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. About 80,000 miles.

Thank you. I look forward to your reply.
Terri0522

1)I always recommend replacing any heat shield that the manufacturer puts on a car. The being said, it is highly unlikely to cause any problems.

2) It sounds as if there may be an electrical problem with the transmission. Is there a check engine light on? Even if there isn't one, have a technician scan it for history codes and point out any transmission related codes. That seems like the logical place to start. Check that and get back to me, we will go from there.

Cup1981
Just spoke to the dealership. They did check the history codes and found nothing. They are thinking it may be the exhaust. They said that could cause smells and if it is clogged, effect the transmission.

Terri0522
Yeah, that is correct. I didn't even think about the catalytic converter getting clogged. That would cause a very similar issue. I would expect a clogged exhaust to trigger some code, but it doesn't always.

Cup1981
Fingered crossed that is it and solves my issue. Thanks for the assist!

Terri0522
Well, they could not find anything wrong with the exhaust. They gave me the car back and suggested that if the engine light comes on, to bring the car back in. Unfortunately, the engine light has nevet come on when it happend and it only happened twice. Any suggestions?

Terri0522
Well, they could not find anything wrong with the exhaust. They gave me the car back and suggested that if the engine light comes on, to bring the car back in. Unfortunately, the engine light has never come on when it happend and it only happened twice. Any suggestions?

Terri0522
It's really unfortunate, as cars seem to miraculously fix themselves once they are in a shop. With these more complex vehicles, it is extremely difficult to properly diagnose them until the fault is severe enough to trigger a check engine light. My suggestion to you is to continue driving it, try to keep it local, always keep all of your fluids checked and stop the vehicle is anything like you described begins happening again. If the check engine light comes on, immediately have the code scanned. My best guess at this point is possibly bad gasoline. If there is water or some other liquid in the fuel, it can cause strange smells and poor running. Short of that it is nearly impossible to diagnose without a code from the computer. Just keep a very close eye on it and switch fueling stations for your next fill-up, in case your usual station's tanks are contaminated.

Cup1981