HYUNDAI ELANTRA SENSOR PROBLEM

2003 Hyundai Elantra • 15,000 miles

I have a 2003 Elantra and it is having trouble climbing hills. Also, When I'm in gear, if I push the gas pedal to much it revvs up the engine and pretty much loses power. So, I have to keep it at a certain speed just to keep it going. I looked down at the front right wheel because I suspected the speed sensor. I also had the engine code read and it said speed sensor is bad. I replaced it, but after about 50 miles it started doing the revving thing again, but not as bad.
Jasonmartinez

It sounds like you have a transmission issue. Is the fluid full? Have you serviced it correctly?

It is a manual transmission. And When I read the engine code it only said speed sensor

Jasonmartinez
Ok, that info would have been helpfull to know.

What was the code number? A code never identifies a bad part, just a failed system

I actually don't know. I took it to Autozone and they read it for me. I did pull tires off and the front right wheel sensor was shredded. Whoever replaced the strut failed to anchor the sensor wire to the strut and just left it hanging. I wonder if that caused a short?

Jasonmartinez
Thats the abs system which has no effect on the trans.

Get the code read again

Hmmm. Would the transmission speed sensor cause this over revving and power loss when climbing? Maybe this abs speed sensor was just coincidently bad at the same time.

Jasonmartinez
The over reving may be the clutch slipping.

Speed sensor would not have anything to do with this

Thank you for your help regarding my stupid car. I will check it out in more detail. Have a good day.

Jasonmartinez
Same to you