WOUNT TURN OVER

2003 Hummer H2 • 4WD Automatic • 115 miles

I have a 2003 H2 Hummer. When I insert the key and try to start, nothing no click nothing. Check battery connection to be sure they are clean and tight, I turned the headlights on and try to start the engine. I notice the lights went completely out I also jacked up the car and try to jump the started with a screw driver and all I hear is a high spin but no crank just spins? What you think it might be?
Key2pwr

It can be your solenoid or the starter relay. It shold be in your underhood fuse box it will be clearly marked on the inside cover of the box. You can also try having an assistant try to start the truck then you crawl uner an dhit the starter with a hammer on the side. Alot of times that jars it to work. It can also be a starter drive not working which the fix is to replace the starter.

How can you tell if the Relay is bad? I have a remote start I can hear the relay click when I try the remote start, I try hitting the starter and nothing, will a bad starter cause the lights to completely out when you try to start the car?

Key2pwr
Yes a bad starter can cause the lights to go out, but check your battery first, charge it up and have it tested. Most auto parts stores do this for free. The relay is small it's in the underhood elelctrical center. But if the solenoid is bad, that's onthe starter.

I got a new battery last Monday 8/8/11 and sunday night I got home and this Monday I was going to go out and this happen also Yesterday I had a friend try to give me a jump we hooked the cables up and let it sit for about 15 minis and try to start same thing nothing.

Key2pwr
Ok you din't say that in your first email but no big deal you can take teh starter off an dtake it to an auto parts store they can check that as well, if it'snot the starter then it's either the ignition switch or something wrong with power going thru the nuetral safety switch. If you have a test light when you try to have an assistant start the truck put the test light on the "s" terminal or where the purple wire connects. If you get a bright light there then it's probably a starter problem. Here is a diagram for a blazer start but it shold be fairly close to what yours is.

THINGS HAPPEN!

NEW PARTS CAN BE BAD!

SOMETHING COULD HAVE BEEN "STUCK" AND DRAINED YOUR BATTERY!

THE CLICKING YOU HEAR, IS PROBABLY A RELAY---"CLICKING" MEANS THE ELECTROMAGNET IS BEING ACTIVATED BY THE "KEY'S CIRCUIT". IT DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE CONTACTS WITHIN IT ARE "CONTACTING"!

IF IT'S "TWIN" IS IN THE BOX. SWAP 'EM. RESULTS?

MR. STARTER COULD BE HUNG UP IN THE FLYWHEEL TEETH, 'COURSE IT PROBABLY WOULD NOT MOVE. LIGHTS DIM, LIKE IN THE PRISON, WHEN THEIR FRYIN' SOMEBODY. REMOVAL MIGHT FIX IT. WHILE IT'S OUT, MIGHT AS WELL HAVE IT TESTED!

THE HIGH PITCH WHIRL, REMINDS ME OF WHEN I WAS SWAPPING MY '46 WILLYS TO 12 VOLTS. I INSTALLED NEW FIELDS AND IMMEDIATELY FOUND MY STARTER RUNNING BACKWARDS (LEARNING EXPERIENCE!) I TOOK 'EM BACK OUT, AND INSISTED I HAD THE WRONG ONES. TURNS OUT, EVEN THOUGH I HAD MARKED THE CASE, SOMEHOW, I HAD THE BRUSHES 90 DEGREES OUT. SORTA REVERSED POLARITY!

I HAVE SEEN PEOPLE GET THE "RIGHT BATTERY" AND THE POS AND NEG TERMINAL POSTS BE REVERSED. INSTANT SPARKAGE. IF THE CABLES GOT HOOKED UP! (MOST OF THE TIME?)

WITHOUT SEEING/ KNOWING YOUR STARTER. HAVE YOU MESSED WITH IT. REVERSED SOMETHING?

MAYBE THE ELECTO-MAGNET THAT "PULLS" THE DRIVE INTO THE FLYWHEEL AIN'T OPERATING BAD CONNECTION/ OR BAD ITSELF? THE ARMATURE TURNS, BUT NO "THROW". MAYBE JUST CLEAN/TIGHTEN THE CONNECTIONS TO FIX IT?

THOUGHT I MIGHT THROW SOMETHING IN!

Hmac300 thanks the diagram its a little to small to see, I just moved to this new place and I don; t know anyone around here so I'm stock and nothing is walking distance I been trying to get that truck to start, I thought it might be the ignition switch someone told me if you turn the lights on and and try to start the truck if the lights dim or go out its not the ignition switch, some told me today if you try to jump the starter and if it don't crank just spins its the starter, man I don't know what to think. I got to try to get the truck running and I can take it to the mechanic. The truck was running well I went to the store got stuck in traffic the check engine light came on I told my self I'll go to the mechanic Monday and let him check what it might be, made a few stops after that then I got home parked the truck next day I got in the truck turned the key no click noting and its been like that all week, I been reading what people been saying and going out to test what they say to do and no luck, lest thing I did was jacked up the truck and try to jump the starter with a screw driver and it did not crank the stater just spins, I don't know what to think.

Key2pwr