SHIFT SOLENOIDS

2003 Honda Accord • 97,000 miles

I have a 2003 Honda accord v6 automatic. I'm no slouch when it comes to mechanics. I know enough to keep me out of trouble. But for the life of me I can't find a schematic or parts layout for my automatic transmission. I've replaced the speed sensor when it went out and that was because I ordered the part and looked for its bad counterpart in my car to replace it. Right now I'm facing the problem with third gear not engaging properly. I've narrowed the problem down to a malfunctioning solenoid. But witch one? It has solenoids all over the transmission. But only one is bad. Part stores only list two parts. Solenoid A and the part with the two solenoids on a plate. Mechanically there is no grinding or chatter. The transmission fluid (upon removal. Cleaning and reinstalling the plate with the two solenoids on it) has a very light contamination of a graphite like flotsom. Not thick or black. And no metal flakes. My questions where can I get a schematic and parts description for my transmission. And to rule out the potential answer. Haynes guide is useless and chiltons only covers fluid change.
Marksdiscord

I am attaching all the instructions and diagrams I have. You might try pulling the trouble codes and that may help you identify the solenoid in question.

One more diagram

Thank you. Tonight I changed the transmission fluid with some success. Second to third gear shift is working better. Not perfect. But should buy me some time to get the parts and study the information you gave me. First order on the list is to get the radio code. The strange part about all this is so far I haven't gotten so much as a check engine light. No emergency indicators. No error lights at all. Will have to find someone with a code reader to see if anything comes up.

Marksdiscord
Yea every part of the operation of the transmission works great but the shift from second to third went to pot. After the fluid change and removal and cleaning of the top solenoid plate (the dual near the speed sensor) I have third gear again. With intermittent errors in shifting.

Marksdiscord
Even though a check engine light does not come up it does not mean you don't have trouble codes in the ECU. See if Advance Auto ro Auto Zone has an OBD reader to loan out. You can inquire at their parts counter. I was looking more after I sent you the message and found that the solenoids are refered to by letter, at least in this manual, and I have some information on solenoids A though C and some on D. So if you come across anything that refers to them by letter I can give you some more information.
Changing the fluid can get a sticky solenoid to loosened up as the port holes and tolerances are tight and collect contaminants easily. So, a fluid, and filter if applicable, will sometimes loosen up a sticky solenoid and fix the problem with a little time.
Let me know how it goes and if I can be of any further help.
Take Care.
Dr. C

Still having difficulty shifting into third. Sometimes it shifts. Sometimes it's delayed. Sometimes it hangs. I'm still sure it's the solenoid. Now which one.

Marksdiscord
I cannot give you anymore information than I have. Sometimes companies like Honda won't release all their information because it is proprietary. My suggestion would be to call a Honda parts dealer and get the parts department to tell you if solenoids are designated by a letter and if so which one is it that you need to replace.