GMC SONOMA DIFFERENTIAL PROBLEM

2003 GMC Sonoma • 145,000 miles

I have a 2003 GMC Sonoma. It is 4 wheel drive and has a 4.3 liter engine. Occasionally I get a loud high pitch whine at highway speeds. It sounds like it is under the vehicle and toward the front. It gets much louder as I decelerate. It will stop if I shift the truck into 4 wheel drive. This is getting more frequent over the last few days. What could that be? Thanks.
Kiffin1

I would suspect a problem with the front differential.

Homer1967
So where should I go from here? Do you think this is something inside the front differential? Would it need to be rebuilt or replaced (i.E. Just get a used differential from a junk yard)? Are there anythings I can do to verify what exactly it is? I have drained and refilled the gear oil in the front differential and I could not find any metal shavings. Thanks in advance.

Kiffin1
I would suggest that you take it to a shop where they have the correct listening devices to put it in the air and listen to it

Homer1967