- ELECTRICAL

2003 Ford Ranger • 6 cylinder 2WD Manual • 45,000 miles

2003 Ranger- lights and wipers. I was installing a new stereo with the battery connected. Now the wipers and dashboard lights won't work. I checked interior fuses. Could it be a fuse under the hood? Should the battery be disconnected before I remove one of those fuses? Which fuses should I check?
Gregwtx

I would check all fuses, both in the vehicle and under the hood. As far as disconnecting the battery to remove a fuse, it isn't necessary.

While you were working with the radio, were you pulling on any of the wires under the dash? Check under the dash to see if any body grounds are loose or damaged.

Let me know what you find.

I did check under the hood and found I'd fried a one fuse--- and in checking all the interior fuses I found I put one back in the wrong slot! Gotta love that! Stereo and lights work great---- one more issue, I think the dealer installed an after market alarm system. It has the blinking red light just to the left of the steering column. The system is so sensitive it goes off by closing a door to hard. Seems to go off almost randomly. Ugh! Is ther a way to adjust it so it won't be so sensitive? Way I can disconnect the annoying thing?

Thanks so much---

Greg

Gregwtx