'03 4.0L WON'T START

2003 Ford Ranger • 128,000 miles

2003 ford ranger 4wd 4.0l automatic, wont start. Clicking sound (0ne click) only. New battery With 12.6-12.8 volts standing charge, drops to about 11.5 or below when attempting to start, but recovers back to 12.5 shortly thereafter. Fuse to starter is okay. Starter relay was exchanged with another relay and seems to be a good relay. I jumped pin#30 and #87 on that relay and only clicked again. Starter taken off and benched checked. Both solenoid and motor worked fine. Taken to autozone and had them check it out, and passed. I bought a neutral safety switch, and a starter switch and installed both with no results. I even checked to see if by chance the engine seized, but I was able to turn the crank with a breaker bar with little resistance.I have 12.6v at the power side of the starter, but only a surge of about 6to8v at the service side for less the a second when my wife turns the key to start. I can't think of any thing else that would cause it to not start. I don't know the amount of volts the service side (small wire) at the starter should normally have and for how long. I'm sure this is the problem but I don't know how to proceed from here.
Fcandelaria

MAYBE DIS?

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1996-chevrolet-tahoe-wont-start-sounds-dead-battery-jumpbox-get-same-reults

HOPE IT'S AS SIMPLE FOR YOU AS IT USUALLY IS FOR OTHERS ONCE YOU GIVE THEM THE DRILL SERGEANT TREATMENT....I SEE THIS WAY TOO OFTEN

Thanks much.I found the problem. It was a loose wire close to the starter that I wouldn't have found if it wasn't for your (spit in your face drill sergeant treatment) that I ultimately needed. You saved me a ton of $ from having an auto repair garage diagnose the problem. Thanks again. Fcandelaria

Fcandelaria
DON'T FEEL "SINGLED OUT"

I'M WORKING PART TIME AT ADVANCE AUTO TILL I CAN FIND ME A PROPER PLUMBING TECHNICIAN BOSS. IT'S REALLY HARD TO FIND A PROPER BOSS THESE DAYS. I MAY HAVE TO START MY OWN BUSINESS, I CAN DO THE WORK VERY WELL, THE "BUSINESS END OF IT IS WHAT SCARES ME!

I SEE THE CONNECTION THING QUITE OFTEN. I SCOLD THE CUSTOMERS IN A JOKEINGLY STERN MANNER ALSO.

I STARTED TAKING MY CAMERA AFTER SEEING WHAT APPEARED TO BE A PILE OF "ROADRUNNER BIRD SEED" (PLACED THERE BY WILE E. COYOTE). ACTUALLY IT WAS A "HERSEY'S KISS LOOKIN'" PILE OF GREEN POWDER ON TOP OF THE POSITIVE TERMINAL OF THE MAN'S BATTERY......IT APPEARED TO HAVE A RED "CANNON FUSE" GOING INTO IT, AS YOU COULD NOT SEE THE TERMINAL OR CLAMP AT ALL !

SINCE I STARTED TAKIN' THE CAMERA, I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND ANOTHER ONE LIKE IT TO TAKE A PIC!

THE MAN GOT MAD!......HE INSISTED THAT HE HAD CLEANED HIS CONNECTIONS!!!.......DUH!!!

I RECKON THE REST OF HIS VEHICLE LACKED MAINTENANCE ALSO

HERE'S SOME MORE CJ MEDEVAC USELESS INFO!

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2007-ford-taurus-tune-up

I'M GLAD I'M STUCK IN THE 80'S ON BACK.....TO MUCH CRAP ON 'EM ANYMORE! I STILL HAVE TO KEEP UP TO DATE WITH THE WIFEY'S RIG ('03 FORD ESCAPE) MY JEEPS ARE SIMPLE MACHINES.

YESTERDAY I GOT A FEW GOOD PICS OF THIS ONE----'05 NISSAN "MY AIR DOESN'T SEEM TO BLOW RIGHT, MY CAR HAS THIS....STINK!"

CABIN FILTER......I DID LOOK IN "MITCHELL I" FOR YOU ALSO---IT SAYS THE INFO IS NOT PROVIDED, YOU MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE ONE IN YOUR RANGER

CHECK THIS STUFF OUT! THIS LADY (ALONG WITH THOUSANDS OF OTHER FOLKS) DIDN'T HAVE A CLUE SHE HAD A CABIN FILTER THAT IS CHANGED ON A TIME SCHEDULE. THIS PARTICULAR ONE IS ACCESSED BEHIND THE GLOVE BOX (INDEX FINGER POINTING AT IT)--OTHERS UNDER THE HOOD

LAST PICS....I AM/WAS A PAID U.S. ARMY AIRBORNE RANGER ('82-'87) I KNOW ALL ABOUT MOTIVATING PEOPLE, EVEN THE "CREAM OF THE CROP" ONES, WHEN CONDITIONS WERE ALMOST UNBEARABLE!....THESE ARE PICS OF MY "MAN CAVE"....COMPLETE WITH "MANNEQUIN RANGER ON PATROL".......THIS MY 2ND AND "BESTUS" WIFE HELPED ME TO ACHIEVE, WITH ALL OF MY STUFF THAT HAS BEEN PACKED UP FOR MAY YEARS.

THIS ALSO SERVES AS THE GUEST BEDROOM.....SEVERAL HAVE WANTED THE MANNEQUIN PATROLLING ELSEWHERE IN THE HOUSE WHILE THEY SLEPT UNDER MY RESERVE CHUTE CANOPY!