FORD MUSTANG SPARK PROBLEM

2003 Ford Mustang • 87,000 miles

I replaced the spark plugs and attempted to replace the wires. After replacing wires 4 and 5 I realized that I had the wrong cables. After I put the old wires back on and started the car I had a bad sputtering and seems like it is back firing. Did I damage the wires? Not screw in the spark plug all the way? Get dirt in the engine?
SMGlew

You may have just fould the plugs. Pull them out and clean/replace them and see if that helps.

I pulled the spark plugs out, verified that they are not damaged, cleaned and put them back in and still have the same problem. When you say "replace" do you mean get new spark plugs?

SMGlew
Yes. Sometimes plugs can get, "Gas Foulded" and you can't clean them or get them to work right again. It is worth trying. Also make sure tose are the only two wires you mis installed.

I had the 4 and 5 wire hooked up wrong, the sputtering is gone but my check engine light is on. Any ideas?

SMGlew
It might have triggered a trouble code that needs to be cleared. Go to any Advance Auto or Auto Zone and they will read the code and clear it for free. If it is a problem it will come back soon.