FOR WAGONSTANDARD TRANSMISSION16V ZETEC ENGINECAR WAS WORKING FINE, PULLED AWAY FROM PARKING SPOT, GOT DOWN THE ROAD AT A STOP LIGHT, WENT TO PULL AWAY & THERE WAS NO 1ST OR 3RD. IT ALMOST SEEMED LIKE THE SLOT THAT THE STICK WOULD SLIP INTO WAS

2003 Ford Focus • 93,200 miles

From neutral you can not find 1st or 3rd gear, if you pull away in 2nd, you can find 3rd gear but not 1st.
Jimhfx

2003 for focus wagon
standard transmission
16v Zetec engine

car was working fine, pulled away from parking spot, got down the road at a stop light, went to pull away & there was no 1st or 3rd. It almost seemed like the slot that the stick would slip into was gone. Had to pull away in 2nd gear to get off the road & then I was able to put it into 3rd, but if I go from neutral to find 1st or 3rd, it can not be found.

Some suggestions on what might be wrong would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Jimhfx
I would check out that the selector cables are secure and that the shift quadrant is not sloppy and worn.

Mhpautos