ENGINE ROCKS WEN I RELEASE ACCELARATOR

2003 Ford Focus • 43,000 miles

Please help had same problem in my escort driving along in 2, 3 gear just gently plodding along but wen I release gas pedal car seems 2 rock just 1 time but it is so annoying u only av 2 rest ur foot on pedal n then release it for the car 2 do it every time n it cant be helping driveshafts or mountings at all please im desparate. It is only a slite rockin motion but enuff 2 not enjoy driving my car. Car is like new in every other way
Stewwill

Considering the age and mileage of the vehicle this concern sounds like you may have a broken engine or transaxle mount. I assume it shifts properly, but you are just having this concern when you feather the throttle thus reversing the load on the mounts. Your best way to check this is to have a friend sit in the vehicle with the park brake fully engaged and their foot firmly on the brake pedal. Have them go back and forth between drive and reverse while you observe the engine mounts for excessive movement. There should be mounts near the right and left strut towers and under the engine/transmission towards the front (near the radiator) and the back (near the firewall). If you need pictures let me know. If all mounts check out ok the next possibility is an internal tranny concern. Let me know if I can be of anymore help.

Marv-Ellis
Cant beleive I havnt mentioned it but ive only noticed it since I changed the clutch but the clutch n box, but they seem 2 operate as they should. Thank u I really appreciate ur response I will try the engine mounts n get back 2 u thx again

Stewwill
One other thing to check is to make sure that both axles engaged completely when you reinstalled them after doing the clutch job. If one of the axles did not seat properly it could be causing this problem as well.

Marv-Ellis
Wouldnt the gearbox leak if they hadnt gone in properley n I didnt realize they could even go in wrong? Again thank you ever so much. Also I dont notice any jerking / rocking wen I accelarate only wen I completely take foot off the pedal. N it doesnt make a diffrence how quick I release pedal coz if I released pedal any slower than wot I have been doing lately my leg would stop.

Stewwill
Usually there would be a leak but sometimes an axle will go in the grooves, but the snap ring doesnt engage completely. Your problem really sounds like an engine mount, but the axles are worth a quick look as well.

Marv-Ellis