POSSIBLE MOLD PROBLEM

2003 Ford Explorer • 6 cylinder 2WD • 95,000 miles

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. Normal daily driving is OK but on long trips I develope Allergy Symptoms (itchy eyes, running nose, etc.) Since there is no Cabin Filter in this year model can you suggest another possible cause. The same trips in my wife's car are OK.
Gjoiner

Do you have any smell coming from the a/c?Also do you run the a/c a lot with the recirculation on?

There is no odor that I notice and No Recirculation. I first thought it was an allergy due to Cedar Trees as the trips are usually from Houston to the Texas Hill Country, but no problem in wife's car.

Gjoiner
That's right yours doesn't have a setting that say's recirculation but you have a setting that say's max a/c which put's the recirculation feature on which close's off the outside air coming in and only circulates the air in the cabin. If you use the max a/c a lot you can build up a lot of moisture on the evaporator core and after you turn off the car that moisture will grow bacterial spore's which can cause smell and your allergies go wild. The best thing to do is if your using the max a/c setting is the last couple of mins before your done driving is turn the a/c off and put the blower fan to high to dry the moisture. They have a/c cleaner's that you can try to see if that will clean the evaporator core and help your allergies.

Thanks. I will try an evap coil cleaner. Maybe they make one called "New Truck"!

Gjoiner