DODGE RAM SENSOR PROBLEM

2003 Dodge Ram • 172,000 miles

Dodge throwing lean code bank one o2 sensor misses under pull at low rpms when pedal is pushed up to half throtle push pedal to floor will stop has back fired a couple of times when cold maybe 4 times in the past 2 months how long its been hesitating idles fine runing high test helps some some times motor runs fine dosent do any of this it is a 03 dodge ram 4x4 1500 manuel with 4.7 O2 sensor replaced plugs replaced air charge sensor replaced lifters tick when cold and miss fire cylender 8 code came up once before plug change hasnt since
Neuro85

WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER "COMMON" TUNE UP PARTS?

....LIKE DISTRIBUTOR CAP......ROTOR BUTTON.....PLUG WIRES......FUEL FILTER.......PCV......COMPLETE FLUID CHANGES.......ETC?

ANY MORE---MOST PEOPLE DO NOT PERFORM PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE ON THEIR RIG..........MAYBE THEY THINK IT'S TOO COMPLICATED???

........THE ONE I LIKE HEARING IS......"I TOLD THE MECHANIC TO CHECK IT ALL OUT".......LIKE HE'S GONNA MOST LIKELY DO THE REPAIR AT HAND, NOT YOUR PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE, UNLESS YOU SPECIFY IT.............THERE AGAIN.....IT DOES COST

I LIKE DIY........I CAN SUGGEST WAYS TO SAVE $$$ TOO

THEY WAIT TILL SOMETHING BREAKS, THEN ATTEMPT TO "CATCH UP"----BUT USUALLY STOP, WHEN THEY ACCIDENTALLY "PICK THE RIGHT DOOR"!!!

I'M NOT TRYING TO BE A PAIN----MUCH OF THIS STUFF IS OUTLINED IN AN OWNER'S MANUAL

......................BUT EVEN BETTER!!!!!!............SEE MY LINK!!!!!.......YOU NEED TO "CATCH UP"....COMPLETLY, THEN SEE IF THE PROBLEMS PERSIST

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2007-ford-taurus-tune-up

KEEP US POSTED ON PROGRESS

....OR MORE QUESTIONS

A 4.7 dosent have a distributer cap it has 8 coils 1 over each plug answer my question

Neuro85
A lot of us are older and always think about basics. Some new cars dont have distributors and wires but the basic principles about spark are the same.

Degrading people who try to help you is not going to get you any answers from the rest of us who want to help. We all are very smart when it comes to cars but is difficult to daig something we cannot see or touch. We work off information you provide.

Insults dont help. Maybe we can start again here to help you without the attitude

Have you checked the fuel pump pressure? Is it within spec? Also, have you checked for vacuum leaks? The lean code may be the result of a leak.

I apologize I thought I just payed for a generic computer generated response but I guess not and I gave you plenty of info if you where a dodge mechanic like this website said I was getting not a general mechanic which you seem to be you would have known I told you it was a 03 dodge ram 4x4 1500 4.7 scroll up and you will see that and yes I did all those checked out fine this thing is very frustrating and getting an answer like you gave is well I think you get the point from my response above anyways can I get a more dodge specific mechanic cause honestly no disrespect I think I know more bout this dodge then you

Neuro85
You understand my attitude now like I said I appoligise

Neuro85
Ok, first I would say to check fuel pressure. Low fuel pressure will make it run lean. It would explain the miss and backfire cold.

I am assuming it was a 171 or 174 code. Forget which is which bank.

Check for vacuum leaks around the intake. The pcv is always suspect but will throw lean code for both banks.

Monitor the o2 sensor long term trim to see where it goes at idle and at 2500 rpm.

Lastly, this should have a mass air flow sensor. Make sure the hoses are tight and if you can get the voltage readings at idle and 2500 rpm.

Did you verify compression when you did the plugs?

Not a problem. We understand. I just hope we can help. I have worked on chrysler products for about 30 years. Everything you described sounds like a vacuum issue. Have you checked vacuum with a gauge? Also, ASEmaster6371 is an outstanding tech. Have you done the things he recommended?

If Roy and I can't get this figured out, there are many other techs we can refer you to.

Im not sure what long term trim is it did have a vaume leak at the purge valve selinoid fixd that but it never made it hesatate like this and that code went off I cant find any vac leaks near intake plus it dosent idle high or any thing or any hissing one of the valve adjuster does tick when cold if one of those are bad would that cause it everywhere I read said it would make it run rich if valve wasnt opening all the way When you turn the knob on the heater that changes from floor to dash to defrost takes awhile to move inside of the dash is that run off vacume I dont hear any vacume leaks tho also the vents blow cooler on the driver side with heat on the pass side blows hot is that run off vaccume maybe its got a cracked hose but again I cant hear leak and being in dash I think I should hear that I did recently change air charge sensor dosnt have mass air sensor no change changed the coolant temp ensor that actully helped some it dosen jump now when hesitating and dosent hesatate as bad have a set of injectors coming ill check back in after I change those im going to do fuel preasure test my self this time had someone else do it last time I bought a pressure checker where do you hook it on at I thought it had a valve some where on fuel rail that you screw it into but cant find one also what should the preasure be I think I read somewhere it should be 58 also I read usualy when fuelpump goes bad it will get harder to start or long start fires right up idles at 6-700 smooth

Neuro85
Also it says bank one on the lean code how does it know bank one when both banks dump into one pipe where the o2 sensor is its not the cali emissions it dosent have 4 o2 sensor 2 on each bank

Neuro85
Page 1 of 3