RADIATOR PROBLEM.

2003 Dodge Dakota

My husband's truck overheated we took it into his regular mechanic and they did a "pressure" check and flushed the radiator, and said the radiator cap was bad. $350. Four weeks later, and it overheats again. Back into the same shop, and now they say it's the cylinder head gasket. This time $4200! But they claim the 2 instances of overheating are not related. I find that hard to believe. Is it possible? Or did they miss the real issue the first time? And is that why we now have to pay to have the head "resurfaced"? Because we drove it for four weeks believing that they had fixed the problem.
SallyLor

Did it overheat immediately after the first repair? If it did and you never brought it back, then you have the liability from driving it overheated. Driving it overheated caused the head gasket issue.

If it was ok for the 4 weeks, then you had a new problem surface.

No matter what, you need it fixed. 4200 is way too much money for head gaskets. Did you get a second opinion or another bid for the job?

Thank you for your reply. No, it didn't overheat for 4 weeks. We would not have driven it otherwise. No we didn't get a second opinion, not too many places here want to work on our Dodge. At least we know now that it doesn't matter how well you look after your vehicle (all regular maintenance done) crap happens. And no, we will not be going back to that shop again.

SallyLor
I hear you. You could have got a brand new motor for 4200 with a 3 yr 50 k warranty. I would steer clear of that shop.