CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY BRAKES PROBLEM

2003 Chrysler Town and Country • 89,000 miles

While pulling out in a 3 point turn, the car seemed to lurch to a stop an very sudden stop, as if something had been hit when I apply the brakes. At first I thought I did hit something, so pulled the car out onto a straight portion of the driveway. I pressed on the brakes slowly and it happened again, the car arrived at a sudden stop, as if the car was hitting some invisible wall. I've had the brakes looked into and have been told they will last awhile and this was last year. There's no noise when I brake, none that I've noticed. The last few days It seemed like something was burning here and there if I drove far distances but an oil change is not yet due

I'm on extremely limited funds and it's not safe to drive my children in it but with winter here I need a car. Any ideas what it might be?

Have a pro check yoru brakes and front suspension.