T & C

2003 Chrysler Town and Country • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic •

2003 town & country will not shift into reverse also when in drive will not get over 15mph then quits pulling
Bjohnson1423

This reply assumes that you have a 4-speed automatic transmission, which was quite popular in Chrysler minivans since 1996. The most likely (and least costly) solution is to check the automatic transmission fluid level. If low, top it off to full level, with the engine WARM! But be sure you are using the CORRECT FLUID which these days is ATF+4, NEVER Dextron or Mercon! Depending on how many miles are on the vehicle, you may need to change the tranny fluid and the filter, because the 4-speed automatic transmissions are VERY sensitive to fluid viscosity, which naturally changes over both time and amount of usage! Pay attention to the gear shift indicator on the insrument panel. Is there any delay between when you move the shift lever, and when a ring appears around an indicated gear? Or are you seeing multiple rings at any time, around multiple gear indicators? Those are indicators that there may be a problem with the TCM (Transmission Control Module), the solenoid pack, or the wiring between them.

Gizmoguy
Is MIL light on ie. Check engine light. Does trans shift out of first to second? Do RPMS go up?

Docfixit
It does not shift from first to second and the rpm's do not go up its like you shifted to neutral and check engine light is on

Bjohnson1423
The vehicle is probably stuck in "limp mode" (which is 2nd gear) from the time you shift it into any forward gear. That is probably because there was an internal failure in the transmission, and/or the transmission controller, and/or the transmission solenoid pack. Is there adequate fluid in the transmission?

Gizmoguy
Go to an AutoZone if can make it have codes read then post. Will diagnose

Docfixit
Bjohnson1423, is there adequate fluid in the transmission, based on a dipstick measurement? I have asked this at least twice, but I never saw any response to the question. You could simply have a fluid level issue! But I would not recommend trying to drive the vehicle to an Autozone if it won't go faster than 15 MPH. You could become a traffic hazard under those conditions!

Gizmoguy
Yes their is adequate fluid in the transmission I had the fluid and filter replaced

Bjohnson1423
Docfixit I have Three codes P7034 gear 4 incorrect ratio, p0732 gear 2 incorrect ratio, p0700 transmission malfunction.

Bjohnson1423
Gizmoguy I changed the fluid and filter after the transmission failed and I didnt know that their was a mopar tranny fluid thanks for the info dont know that I will change it out untill I know what the problem is

Bjohnson1423
The diagnostic codes you cited simply mean the transmission is slipping (wrong input RPM for a given output RPM) in each gear that flagged an error. I'm afraid you have fallen into the same trap that most people fall into, when it comes to transmission fluid in Chrysler A604 (41TE) four speed electronically controlled automatic transmissions! If you put #2 diesel fuel into your gas tank and the engine refused to run, would you take the position that you will not put the correct fuel in the tank until the engine runs fine again? The problem, very likely, IS the wrong transmission fluid, and probably the wrong FILTER as well! But, depending on how long you have been trying to drive the vehicle using the wrong transmission fluid, that incorrect fluid could have severely damaged your transmission, ESPECIALLY if you used Dextron fluid! It is known to actually REMOVE the lining from the clutch plates! If you had Dextron in your Chrysler van, the transmission could already be toast. Did you consult your owner's manual for the right kind of fluid? ATF-3, ATF-4 and Chrysler 7176 are the ONLY approved fluids fro that tranmission! And putting Dextron in your tranny is as bad as putting #2 diesel fuel in your gas tank! It just plain WON'T WORK!

Gizmoguy
Page 1 of 4