COOLANT LEAK/NO HEAT

2003 Chrysler Town and Country • 6 cylinder • 135,000 miles

Frequently replacing coolant in 2003 Chrysler Town and Country when heater stops blowing hot air, but there are no visible signs of a leak on ground. Where would the leak likely be located?
DrPowercat

Possible leaking head gasket. You can add a bottle of dye to the coolant, then look at the tail pipe with a black light. The dye will show up bright yellow after driving a few miles.

Thank you. I was afraid somebody was going to say that. I am going to take it in and have it looked at, but can you give me a ballpark for what that job might cost? It doesn't sound cheap.

DrPowercat
A typical head gasket job could run $500.00 to $700.00. Your engine is not an "interference" engine. Those engines have valves and pistons that occupy the same space but at different times, ... As long as the timing belt is installed correctly. Any problem with the belt breaking or jumping a few teeth, or incorrect installation after replacing head gaskets results in the need for a valve job which will add a whole bunch to the repair bill. Your engine uses a chain instead of a belt and it's not an interference engine.