COMING OFF THE FREEWAY THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON AND IT IS HAVING PROBLEMS GOING INTO GEAR WHAT COULD IT BE?

2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser • 112,000 miles

It acts like it is in nutral and sometimes will go into gear. I can't drive it far in fear I will get stuck. I can not get a code because my hubby tried to reset it and we can't drive it to get the check engine light to come back on. What can I do?
Rochelle22277

How did he reset the Code?Have you tried to read a code since he tried to reset the code?

Yes, I tried to read the codes but it just says done. He took the battery cables off to reset it.

Rochelle22277
Just says done?Thats a strange message it usually says no codes or will display the codes you have. Since it wont move and there are no codes now the first thing I would do is a transmission line pressure test.

Ok is it something I can do myself or do I need a mechanic to do it for me? I bought a book on the car and am somewhat familar. I have worked on our vehicles before.

Rochelle22277
Without knowing what the problem is it is hard to answer that question. If its a pressure issue like a valve body issue then depending on your abilities then its possible. If its a internal issue then I would say no that would take special tools and isnt a do it yourself repair. Thats why I suggested the line pressure test that takes a about a 70 pressure test kit. It would really help if we had those codes I could look up the codes for tsbs etc and have a better idea of whats going on.

Thank you so much for your help. I will see what I can do to get the light to come back on and get the codes. Then I'll get back with you.

Rochelle22277
Alright keep me posted.

Ok here is what I have. I have a code P0700 Automatic Transmission control system malfunction, 732 A/T additional gear ratio error 2nd gear, 736 A/T additional gear ratio error reverse gear, 841 Low/reverse pressure switch sense circuit malfunction, and 846 A/T 2/4 pressure switch circuit malfunction. I'm guessing I need to take it to a mechanic. Is this something I can fix?

Rochelle22277
I have the codes. P0700, 732, 736, 841, 846. It seems to be a pressure switch sense circuit malfunction. Is this something I can fix?

Rochelle22277
Your better off taking it in thats my advice.