STARTING - SHIFT INDICATOR PROBLEMS

2003 Chevrolet Silverado • V8 2WD Automatic • 81,000 miles

I started my 2003 chev silverado put the truck in reverse and backed up. I noticed the check engine light was on so I shut off the engine, checked the gas cap and tried to restart the engine, but it did not start. There wasn't any electrical noise that the engine was trying to start. I came back to the truck 10 minutes later and it started right up. Since the battery was 7-1/2 years old, I replaced it. The check engine code was P0449, it is still on. Since then I noticed my door does not unlock when I shift into park, after about 15-30 seconds it unlocks. A couple days later I noticed that the shift indicator light does not immediately indicate the correct position that the shift lever is in. I believe all of these problems might have happened at the same time, I just didn't notice the shift indicator problem. All fuses are good, no visible damage to the charcoal canister. Help, out of ideas.
Westlawn

Have you tried programming, the automatic door lock procedure?

Mode 1, all doors lock when tranny is shifted out of park.
Begin with ignition off. Then pull the turnsignal/multifunction lever toward you and hold it there while you perform the next step. Turn the key to RUN then back to LOCK twice. Then, with the key in lock, release the turn signal/multifunction lever. Once you do this, the doors will lock and unlock, the horn will chirp once, and the 30 second timer will begin. You are now ready to program the automatic door lock feature.

Press the lock side of the power lock switch once. You will hear one, two, or three chimes. The number of chimes tells you which lock mode is currently selected, 1st mode, Continue to press the door lock switch until the number of chimes that you hear matches the nujmber of the mode you want. One chime please. If you take longer than 30 seconds, the locks will automatically lock and unlock and the horn will chirp twice to indicate that you have left the program mode. If this occurs, you can repeat the procedure beginning with step onew to re-enter the programming mode.

You can exit the program mode any time by turning the ignition to run, the doors will automatically lock and unlock and the horn will chirp twice to indicate that you are leaving the program mode. If the lock and unlock switxhes are not pressed while in the programming mode, the current automatic settings will not be modified.

I just had pretty much the exact same problem yesterday. Any luck?

Trog
Hi, you would get more looks, if you posted your own question.