A/C SYSTEM TROUBLE

2003 Chevrolet Silverado • V8 4WD Automatic • 211,000 miles

So its that hot time of year again. Got a question I cant seem to find an answer to.

My A/c Quit working after a year of owning my 2003 Silverado with the 5.3L so I broke the system apart and flushed all lines, condenser, and evaporator. Upon re-assembly I installed a new accumulator and expansion valve (orifice). Worked like a champ until next summer. I lost my freon over the winter months, so upon trying to recharge the system I got about 6oz roughly in the system and the low pressure switched kicked and not even after about 10 oz the low side pressure was at 100psi with the temp outside about 95+ Degrees. So I stopped adding freon.

I noticed that the line going into the evaporator was condensing, nice and cold with water pouring off of it. And right after the expansion valve it was hot! So everything seemed to be working on that end fine. Now the line coming from the evaporator to the accumulator is still the same temp as outside.

So my question is, is my condenser stopped up now? I failed on checking it while I had the system apart this morning. I do know that the evaporator has full flow when I blew -40 degree dry air through it. (Ouh, I replaced the accumulator again this morning thinking it was packed with moisture and too much oil, didnt help a thing) Pulled a vac on it for about a hour, and it would still only hold less than a 12oz can of freon.

Any suggestions? Thanks for your time! And sorry this post is so long and if I took you through circles while reading it lol
Cooldude4u2no

What is the high side reading when you did this? Are you positive that the compressor clutch was engaged when you got these readings?

Wrenchtech
Dont Have a set of manifold gauges anymore. Using a recharge hose w gauge. The compressor is running and was while I was charging.

Cooldude4u2no
Then you really shouldn't be messing with the system at all. Those kits should be outlawed. You can't service an A/C system without monitoring both high and low pressures.

Wrenchtech
Another note, took the truck out and drove it about 10 miles the air kept getting colder and finally froze me out. Seems like it may only be cooling while driving. Im starting to believe my condenser is partially plugged.

Cooldude4u2no
You're never going to know with the tools that you are using. You will likely do a lot more damage to the system than you already have.

Wrenchtech