CHEVROLET IMPALA TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

2003 Chevrolet Impala

Hi my brothers girlfriend car is having transmission issues. First off it is an automatic transmission. Also she doesn't get the concept that you can't put the car in reverse and then throw it into drive while the car is still rolling backwards. Anyway her mom does the same thing. Supposedly the car had this same problem before and the auto shop cleaned the sensor and it didn't have anymore problems. When she puts it in drive when you step on the gas the car goes but the transmission keeps reving. Once you get off the gas it jumps and goes into second gear. What is most likely wrong with the car. I am saying this is the transmission and her family keeps telling her it is the sensor. We have had many fights on this. My question is who is right me or them. Thanks.
Sean03

They have probably done some internal damage to the hydraulic system, shifting like this can do mechanical damage and over pressure the hydraulics, best get it checked by a qualified trans tech they can run some hands on tests to determine what the exact problem is.

Mhpautos