CHEVROLET CAVALIER VACUUM LEAK PROBLEM

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier • 60,000 miles

Engine surges occasionally when stopped at a light.

Andy
Siark

Any codes?Have you tried cleaning the idle air control valve?Or looking for vacuum leaks?

No codes. Cleaned iac valve & throttle valve. Checked for vacuum leaks w/ soapy water.

Siark
You can't look for vacuum leaks with soapy water because vacuum is the absence of pressure and wont blow bubbles. The way I check for leaks is with some carb spray spraying it around at idle and watch for a rise in or fall in rpms stumbling or dying.

There are so many things that could cause a surge. If you have no codes and no vacum leaks I would have to suggest that you take it to a shop for diagnosis. You don't want to waste any money on uneeded parts. There are dozens of things that could cause your issue.

Homer1967
One last thing-can you tell me how many vacuum hoses there are, and where exactly they're located (it's a 2.2 litre manual). Maybe I missed one.

Siark
No I can not pull up vacum diagrams.

Homer1967