BRAKE LINES ARE ALL RUSTED AND WILL NEED TO HAVE ALL BRAKE LINES REPLACED DUE TO FAILURE COMPLETE LOSS OF BRAKES WHILE DRIVING ON THE INTERSTATE

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche • 60,000 miles

I have a 2003 chevy Avalanche z 1500, 5.3 L 4 wheel drive.I called GM about this brake failure and asked them why they do not engineer a safer braking system on all trucks like this one.I was driving on the interstate when I had to stop hard and the brakes went out completely. I was able to avoid a fatal accident with other vehicles. Now I want to get all brake lines replaced and need some info on what steps to take on having a safe truck on the road. Can GM tech use stainless lines to replace the original lines on the truck? What do you think I should be charged for this repair at the dealer? Thank you sincerely, thom
Thom41

When brake lines are rusted, they become weak and high pressure to the lines while applying sudden hard braking can cause them to rupture and loss of braking.

Though replacing all the brake lines is not a highly technical job, it requires quite a lot of work as undercarrige components etc have to be removed. This is a time related work and you need to check with the dealer for the pricing.

Stainless steel line are not used by manufacturers as they are not viable.