A/C

2003 BMW X5 • 6 cylinder • 77,000 miles

On the low pressure switch there are 3 wires. Which ones do I have to jump to get the compressor to kick on?
Kaizdad

You don't want to jump anything there. That is not an off/on type of switch. It's a sensor that feeds data to the computer. If you put a minimal amount of refrigerant in it and reset the computer, it will energize the compressor if it doesn't have any other problems.

Wrenchtech
Thank You for your help wrenchtech. To reset computer do I just disconnect battery for two min or is there an alternative method on theses vehicles?

Kaizdad
Disconnecting the battery should be sufficient but don't do that unless you have to because you will lose all the other memory also.

Wrenchtech
Thank You for your help.

Kaizdad
The response from Wrenchtech is correct and I agree with it. The lack of refrigerant is the cause, the IHKA system will see the logic from the pressure switch and begin to work if there is enough refrigerant in the system, it won't require a reset. A/C systems require special tools and equipment to be serviced correctly. They also operate at high pressures and repairs should be done by trained technicians.

Dr. Hagerty