WHEN YOU ARE DOING THE TIMIN, THE EXHAUST CAM HAS A FREE PLAY. WHERE IT'S THE CORRECT POSITION PLS.

2002 Volvo XC70 • 100,000 miles

I am doing the timing belt. Crankshaft position sensor code po0016 came on. I moved the belt forward and back reset the light and came back again. I open the valve cover and I aligned both cams the from mark are matching and still code come on. Them I moved the exhaust cam the one with the play one space clockwise, still the code 0016 come. What can I do pls. Thank
Laconsentida

Is the cam sensor adjustable on your engine? Is the timing belt tight?

The sensor it's not adjustable and the timing belt yes is tide

Laconsentida
If you removed the cam cover then you need the cam and crank alignment tool to set timing up again. You can find the tool online but it runs around $300-$500?

JIS001
Yes, I have the tools that hold both cams at 180* witch I did it, them the mark on the timing belt were matching and still I have the code back. That is why I'm asking if there is any special thing that has to be done with the play that is on the exhaust cam? Thank

Laconsentida
You have to loosen the pulley bolt and let the cam relax at the center of that movement and then tighten the pulley. That centers the VCT solenoid. You have to get that perfect or you will have a check engine light.

Wrenchtech
What about the crank? Did you remove the starter and use the crank tool to lock the crank in place also?

JIS001