VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT BATTERY PROBLEM

2002 Volkswagen Passat • 90 miles

Battery went dead so I charged it and the airbag code came up on the dash. Brought it to my mechanic he took off the codes and now the shifter won't go into drive. There is a button on the shifter that turns green when u press on the brake that disengages the shift. He tried removing the battery cables to reset the computer hoping it would work. It starts but will not disengage. What can I do?
Mattnic

It sounds like the park lock solenoid isn't releasing. Are the brake lights working? Power to release the solenoid comes from the brake light switch.

Brake lights work. We also checked the fuses.

Mattnic
Good. Have you checked to see if there is power to the solenoid?

I saw my mechanic checking fuses. He keeps telling me it might be the computer. I don't know.

Mattnic
Has he confirmed that the park lock solenoid isn't getting power or not working?

I will see him tomorrow and suggest that. The car also shakes when idles I'm hoping its not the computer since the check engine light keeps coming on

Mattnic
If the check engine light is coming on, he should scan the computer to see what is causing the problem. It could be a simple as a vacuum leak.

Thank you so much. Have a great evening.

Mattnic
Hope I helped