OVERHEATING AT IDLE

2002 Volkswagen Golf • 125,000 miles

I have a Volkswagen 2002 Golf which is overheating when idle (or just driving very slow, caught in traffic, etc.)
The airconditioner and heater are also not working, which makes me think this could be an issue with the fans not engaging? When I turn the A/C on it does seem that something changes, but the air is definitely not cold, and the heating is not hot- basically only blows air the same temperature as outside back into the car.
Ideas?
2002golfer

Check for low coolant, and you should have one fan coming on with A/C and engine fan when engine gets to pre set temp, check coolant level first.

Mhpautos
Oil and coolant levels are all ok, that was the first thing I checked.

2002golfer
Have radiator checked for partial blockage.

Mhpautos
No heat inside the car indicates that the water pump is not pumping / circulating
coolant.

Very common issue.

Thomas

Exovcds
Attached is a picture of a broken plastic impeller. Depending on
how they break, they will first start to slip and cause intermittent
overheating issues (only at specific engine rpms).

Thomas

Exovcds
Exovcds -- GOOD PIC!---I HAVE SEVERAL LIKE THAT TOO!

ALTHOUGH THIS IS NOT A VW POST I'M SENDING YOU TO 2002golfer THE VW WATER PUMPS OF THE SAME ERA AS YOURS, SOME DO HAVE PLASTIC IMPELLERS........KINDA LIKE INSURANCE THAT IT WILL WIND UP IN "SOMEBODY'S SHOP", PROBABLY MORE SOONER THAN LATER.....ALONG WITH OTHER DAMAGES THAT THIS "COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED" SITUATION CONTRIBUTED TO

IN VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A "METAL IMPELLER", USUALLY IT WILL DEVELOP A SMALL LEAK AT THE SHAFT WHEN THE BEARINGS GET WORN---GENERALLY THIS GETS DISCOVERED BEFORE THINGS GET SERIOUS. IT MAY BE DAYS BEFORE YOU SEE IT.....YOU LOSE A LITTLE RADIATOR JUICE, BUT THE PUMP CONTINUES TO PUMP......IT IS SELDOM THAT YOU SEE A IMPELLER PROBLEM WHEN IT IS METAL

WHEN A PLASTIC IMPELLER "DESTRUCTS" THINGS GET PRETTY SERIOUS AT A MOMENTS NOTICETHAT FEW EXTRA MINUTES THAT IT WENT UNSEEN, COULD COST YOU SOME OTHER SERIOUS DAMAGES.....IF NOT THE WHOLE MOTOR

SEE MY ANSWER (BOTTOM OF THIS POST)

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2010-chevrolet-aveo-car-running-hot

KEEP US POSTED ON YOUR FINDINGS