WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY IGNITION STARTING SYSTEM?

2002 Toyota Avalon • 13,000 miles

2002 Toyota Avalon: key turns in cylinder but does not engage starter. Feels like linkage (?) Is broken.
Pelopata

At rear of cylinder is the ignition switch. Remove it from base and test if it is workng correctly.

Reinstall the ignition key cylinder and check at rear to see if it is turning correctly. The cylinder seldom fails but the switch would.

Thank you. How do you remove switch?

Pelopata
I've been reading about an "immobilizer". Is that possibly what I"m looking at inside the cylinder shaft and part of the problem?

Pelopata
No, immobilizr is a sensing unit at the steering and not the key itself nor any moving part of it.

Switch is attached by either 1 or 2 screws. Removing the screw would allow you to pull the switch out.

Well, here is the culprit. When I finally removed the switch, the broken piece pictured here fell out. Looked like it sheared off another piece. I don't know what this piece or shaft is called but it's what you find inside the lock cylinder and the opposite slotted end extends inside the switch. I had a feeling from the get go it was a broken linkage issue. Now, can I get a replacement part?

Pelopata
This part comes together with the lock assy and you would not be able to get it by itself. You can get an ignition lock assy from the junkyard and cannibalise this part. This would allow you to keep the present key, unless the cylinders are bad and you want to replace the keys.

I just found I have the same issue as you did, were you able to locate the shaft? Or were you stuck paying $300 for the whole assembly?

Dswatlowski
I have a 2002 Toyota avalon XLS, will the part that your referring to, be the same as a one from a Camry?

Dswatlowski
I have a 2002 Toyota Avalon, and I also just had this problem was you able to find just this part or did you have to buy the whole thing for $300?

Shellwants1
Just bought a used steering column for $75. Changed the lock cylinder mechanism. Now the car is trying to start, but just keeps turning over. Wondering if its a security issue?

Ltiller