TIMING BELT

2002 Toyota 4Runner • 6 cylinder 4WD Automatic • 130,000 miles

I replaced the timing belt on a 2002 4Runner and it won't start. If the belt has arrows on it do they need to face any certain direction? I also turned the left cam about a half turn during the installation. Could that be part of the problem?
Blentz01

I believe you have installed the timing belt incorrectly resulting in the non-starting. Cam and crankshafts has to be aligned correctly.

Timing belt has to be installed with arrow pointing to the direction of engine rotation which is clockwise, meaning the arrows has to point right to be correct. Wrong installation would result in premature wear and breakage of the timing belt as it has been designed to work in one direction.

The arrows on the belt would point to either the front or back of the engine. I feel the cam and crankshafts are correctly aligned and have rotated the engine to verify.

Blentz01
Feeling does not work. You have to be sure they are timed correctly. Refer to diagram for the markings. This is an inteference angine and if you had turned the camshaft, you might have damageed the valves. If the timing belt markingas are correct, test the engine compression.

Arrow should point to front of engine.