PLEASE HELP! TIPTRONIC NOT CHANGING TO 5TH

2002 Subaru Legacy • 60,000 miles

My 2002 subaru Legacy b4 has just started to not change to 5th gear in tiptronic or auto. I have had a knocking noise that happens only when accelerating and have read that it could be knock sensor. My question is.

1. Does the knock sensor issue stop me using 5th gear or is this unrelated?
2. Shouldnt I have a check engine light if the knock sensor has a issue?
Jayde_brown

1. Unrelated
2. Should throw out a knock sensor code if its not sensing detonation/pinging-

Wont change to 5th gear could be a TPS, VSS, shifting solenoid-valve body etc How's the transmission fluid level and condition?

Thanks very much for your swift reply! Just checked the tranz oil level showed way over the hot full mark and this was when cold. Seringed about 420ml out now reading is perfect. Some muppet must of done this when I brought the car a few months back.

Is this likely to have any affects on the tranz(longterm)?
Will get knock sensor done on the weekend

Now having done the fluid the car still wont change gear into 5th. Recomendations?

Regards

Jayde_brown
Condition of fluid is getting black so will do a change soon

Jayde_brown
Also is there a way to check error codes without and OBD reader like on the older models where you connect the cables beneath the steering wheel and look at the check engine light as it flashes the code? Thanks again for your hep with my questions!

Jayde_brown