OIL CONSUMPTION

2002 Saturn SL2 • 4 cylinder FWD Manual • 132,000 miles

I have a 2002 Saturn SL2 4-door, 4-cyl, manual transmission, 132,000 miles. Car is driven approx. 12 miles a day, mostly interstate driving. I put in about 0.5 liters of 5W-30 oil in every fillup. No visible leaks, or puddles in drive way. Car doesn't blech smoke on startups or accelerations.

Is this normal for this age/mileage of car?
Karl Marzo

If its not leaking externally-Get an engine compression check to rule out the valves/rings and cylinder wear/tear-132K miles

Sound's like your burning some oil saturn spec is 1qt of oil burned per 2,000 mile's. You could try adding some lucas oil stabilizer in your oil that really help's to slow the oil burning down. If your in a cold climate I would use the lucas sythetic oil stabilizer that will mix with organic oil as well.I would only use organic oil since your burning oil in those engine's if there burning oil and you use synthetic oil it tends to burn more oil. Those engine's tend to burn extra oil I have seen a lot of them burn oil. Especially if the oil wasn't changed on a regular basis.