HI, I HAVE AN ISSUE WITH MY OVER 200,000 K.

2002 Saturn SL1 • 229,000 miles

Hi, I have an issue with my 2002 Saturn sl1 over 200,000 k. I started it the other day and the oil presser light came on so I turned the car off and checked the oil. It was a little low but good. It has been burning oil a lot. So I tried to restart it and it wouldn't go. It turned over lights and radio were working. I got a boost and it stared after a few tries. The battery if fine. So the oil pressure like came back on while driving. Flashing while accelerating. And going off when not. I checked the oil again and added more. And made it back home. So I Changed out the oil pressure censor. And it continued to have the same problem. You can smell burning oil. And I checked right away under the car and noticed the flex pipe was smoking. I check out the fuel system by doing a few simple tests. Heard the whirl in the tank and it come on when in on potion. I am going to change out the fuel filter. Spark plugs are fine. I am going to check the presser in the engine. And a air test in the pugs to hear for leaks in the muffler and coolant and engine cap. Now What I would like to know what would the flex pipe cause the oil presser light to come on. Or what would cause the issue with the flex pipe. Or do you have any ideas of what might be going on. Thanks
Jewls4u1976

There are no codes. The water pump and starter and etc have been replaced recently. The EGR vale was cleaned. The hoses for the coolant are hot. Fan only works well on high I Have to fix that. There is black soot in the tail pipe.I have not tested to see if there are any leaks in the air intake. Could that be the problem. The throttle valve was sprayed. Coolant looks dirty may be oil in it not sure tho. Flush was done six months ago. Help please.

Jewls4u1976
Oh and coolant cap was replaced.

Jewls4u1976
When the oil light is on or flashing you need to hook up a oil pressure gauge and see what the pressure actually is. Those cars are not known for oil pressure issues very seldom have any on those cars. So lets rule out the oil pressure being low causing the light to come on and flash. That is the main thing we need to look at first.I will help you out with the other issues but the oil light needs to addresed first.

Ok, Ill go get the oil tester. All I have is the compression tester. And do it tomorrow morning. The light comes on at starting stays on longer than the others, it goes off then I drive for a while it will come on and then does the flicker when accelerating. I just hope I don't make it worse. With the burning oil smell and the steam or smoke from the flex pipe. I will let you know what I come up with. Thanks.

Jewls4u1976
Alright keep me posted.

Well no luck with getting a oil presser tester. All I could find are gauges no testers. Checked all part stores and pawn shops and kijiji.I priced out getting it cheeked at a few places and they want 150 to 250 to check it. So I think I will try and make one. I think All I need is a liquid filled gauge with 50 to 150 psi. And a fitting for the Oil censer area and tube. I will try that. I will tell you my results of the dry compression test. Cylinder 1 Came in at 135. 2 was at 150. 3 140 4 at 150. Plugs clean no oil Boots and wires Volt tested 1. At 3.9 2 at 3.4 3 at 3.1 4 at 2.6. I also did a air leak test with a air compressor in the cylinder. No air coming from the coolant, No air from the tail pipe No air coming from the oil cap area. But air was coming from the throttle body. The air intake manifold was removed. I checked the PCV valve and it was oily and there was traces of oil in the tube to the throttle body. I'm not sure if that's normal. The valve was changed last year. Now I did notice that the Exhaust manifold got extremely hot after only one minute of the engine running. And stated to smell burning oil. May that be an the issue. Well Ill see if I can get the presser reading. If you have any thoughts please comment.

Jewls4u1976
Your in trouble compression wise min compression on those engines is like 180psi so that engine cant be running too well. When you did the compression test was throttle wide open?Did you do ten compression strokes on each cylinder?

Yes throttle was open and I only did five compressions. They all spiked pretty well at the same rate.

Jewls4u1976
Actually I only did a five count. It may have only been a 4 to five stroke.

Jewls4u1976
To help you out the threads you need to check the oil pressure is 14mm diameter and thread pitch is 1.5. At idle the oil pressure should be 13psi min at 2000 rpms it should be 29psi min oil pressure cold at 2500 rpms 80psi min.

Page 1 of 5