TRANNY SENSOR

2002 Saturn SC2 • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 162,000 miles

Had to put a used tranny in my 2002 Saturn sc2 recently, ever since then the service engine light has been on. The code says its the transmission sensor, I clear it, it comes back in 10minutes. How do I make it stay off for good? I was told the. Car. Maybe sees this new tranny as foreign and it just needs a code put in? Also been told the sensor might not have been hooked up right after the swap. Help?
Sabrinasaturn

What was the EXACT trouble code retrieved?

I just wanted to thank you for donation and lend some of my years of saturn know how. What year and model did the transmission come from?You could very well have the wrong transmission and it would bolt up. Also same question KHLow2008 asked which code keep's reseting?

P0707
Trans range sensor
Circut high output

Sabrinasaturn
There is a P0702, P0705, P0706, and a P0708 those are the range switch code's I don't see a P0707 listed I would double check the code number. The code number is a good starting point also you never said the year and model your transmission came out of?

P0708
02 Saturn sc2 auto tranny dohc
FYI I had the trans speed sensor replaced today, cleared the code. And 5 min later it came back on, same flipping' code **pulls my hair out**

Sabrinasaturn
Hello?

Sabrinasaturn
The speed sensor have nothing to do with P0708. Here are the diagnostic procedures.

DTC P0708: TRANSAXLE RANGE SWITCH HIGH VOLTAGE

NOTE: Transaxle Range (TR) switch may also be known as Park/Neutral
Position (PNP) switch.

Circuit Description
The Transaxle Range (TR) switch determines which gear position has been manually selected. The PCM determines this gear selection by detecting a combination of opens and grounds at the four switch ("A", "B", "C" and "D") inputs of the TR switch. When a switch is open, the PCM input will be high (near ignition voltage). When the switch is closed, the PCM input will be low (zero volts). The specific combinations of highs and lows (opens and grounds at switch) for the four inputs at the PCM denote which gear position has been selected. Only one combination is possible for each manual gear selected. P0708 sets when all four PCM code inputs are high (near ignition voltage) indicating four open circuits.

Conditions For Setting DTC
DTC will set if the PCM has detected all high TR switch inputs ("A", "B", "C" and "D") when: • Condition exists for greater than 0.5 second.
• Condition exists twice in one ignition cycle.
• Ignition voltage is greater than 9.5 volts.

DTC P0708 diagnostic runs continuously once the above conditions have been met. DTC P0708 is a type "A" DTC.

Diagnostic Procedure

1. Turn ignition on, engine off. Using scan tool, monitor each gear position while moving gearshift lever through all gear positions. Does scan tool display each gear position correctly? If so, fault is intermittent. See DIAGNOSTIC AIDS. If not, go to next step.

2. Check TR switch harness connector for tightness. Connect and retest if loose. Check tightness of TR switch to case bolts. Tighten and retest if loose. Using scan tool, monitor transaxle range while individually jumping TR switch harness connector terminals "A", "B", "C" and "D" to ground. Does scan tool display INVALID as each circuit is jumped to ground? If so, check terminal tightness and TR switch. If not, inspect circuit that did not display INVALID for open or loose terminal. Repair as necessary. If circuit is okay, PCM is at fault.

Diagnostic Aids
This DTC will set due to a disconnected switch. Check the tightness of the TR switch harness connector and TR switch to transaxle case bolts. Each switch ground uses the switch case to transaxle case as a ground path. Use scan tool to verify that correct gear positions are read.