COST AND VALUE OF FIXING CATLYTIC CONVERTER

2002 Saturn L300 • 15,000 miles

Took my 2002 L300 in because of surging acceleration and hard idling. Found out the rear converter is clogged/collapsed. Mechanic said approx. $1700 to remove and replace. A few questions. Is that worth it? Is that a high estimate? Should I/can I do it myself for cheaper? How difficult is it to replace? I only need it to run for a few more months until I can get a new car. So I am not looking for a long term fix. Just a patch.

Luddy27

Some peple will cut open the bottom of the cat, take out the debris and then bandage it back up. That's pretty ghetto and I believe illegal. Shop around, try one of those budget muffler shops.

ProAutoTech
Yeah thats totally againist law and we cant give advise that breaks the law. So is it the last cat not one of the manifold cats?What state do you live in?

All I was told was that it was a clog in the rear catalytic converter preventing exhaust from leaving the system. I figure if I can find the part I can just patch it.

Luddy27
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1317276

which of the two i posted do you need both of these cats are under 300 and bolt right in.If you dont live in california then they will work on your car.

Go back to the place and have them point it out to you then match it up on the http://www.rockauto.com website.As long as you dont libe in california.

I believe it is the first one.I live in Minnesota so no worries on the emission stuff.I will make sure to get a copy of the diagnostic report and have them show me exactly which one it is. But this is something I can fix on the cheap for patchwork purposes to get me thru the winter?

Luddy27
The first one is 262 plus shipping and the second one is like 160 something plus shipping. They bolt in with some 13mm bolts you can reuse the metal gaskets I have reused them many times. Its a easy install the price you were given was insane if it was one of those two cats. Let me know how it goes.

I checked back to make sure he said the rear converter. Made it sound like it is the canister behind the Y joint of the first picture. Will I need to replace the whole unit or just that portion?

Luddy27
It will come as a whole unit that bolts up I ti place I would take the car back over and have them point it out to you. Let me know how it goes.

Page 1 of 2